Monday, January 6, 2014

WHERE I LIVE

I’ve lived in the same san francisco neighborhood – middle polk street starting from geary & polk in the south 



to jackson & polk in the north for the last 35 years. 







This is the intersection of california & polk streets. It pretty much in the center of the neighborhood.

There are homeless people in my neighborhood




but they don’t seem to be as big a problem as elsewhere in the City.

Personally, I think it’s because there are at least 8 SROs in the neighborhood.





You can say what you want about the SROs and the people who live in them, but if those 8 SROs were to vanish overnight, there’d probably be at least 250 people, probably more, living and sleeping in the doorways and sidewalks of Polk Street the next morning.

Polk Street has gone from being predominantly gay in the 70s and early 80s to being predominantly one of the most expensive areas of the CIty to live in. Available apartments start at $3K or more per month, and you need at least 3 months rent (1st, last, deposit) up front, so it costs about $10K to move in to my neighborhood.

So, as new tech money flows into the neighborhood, a lot is changing


Nara Sushi, Polk between California & Sacramento Streets
while a lot remain the same.


The Buy-Sell-Loan pawn shop on Sutter between Polk & Larkin Streets
That's pretty much it for this blog.I’ll be writing about the changes I see in my neighborhood, and other subjects as well, in future blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment