Thursday, May 22, 2014

NEIGHBORHOOD MURALS (#2 in a series)


This is Sagan's 1-Hour Valeteria (aka Sagan's Drive-In Cleaners) at the southeast corner of Post & Larkin. I don't know how long they've been open, but I've lived in this part of the City over 30 years and can't remember a time when they weren't here. 



Last weekend while walking down Larkin Street, I saw that a mural had been painted on the western side.




The longer I looked at it, the more I liked it. Instead of using the white wall as a canvas, the artist

uses a design of interlocking loops that bring out the white, so to speak. The white wall becomes a part of the painting instead of its background.

It's not a mural that's best observed from a car. It's best viewed from the sidewalk, where a person has more time to take it all in. So, next time you're in this part of the neighborhood on foot, stop by and take a look. 
Copyright © by Chris Enquist 5/22/14

No comments:

Post a Comment